CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, December 5, 2011

Crab Rangoon

I've been wanting to eat wontons or some time now. So last week I had the chance to make some for myself.

Basically what you need is shredded crab meat, cream cheese and wonton wrappers.
Shredded crab meat (170g) - bought this from Woolworths
Wonton wrappers - can be bought from Woolworths or Coles

Basic mixture:
Mix equal amount of softened cream cheese and crab meat. When I made this, I just used all 250g cream cheese to make things easier. But next time I might use more of the crab meat or follow the original recipe (equal amount).

To spice things up:
I came across one recipe which adds soy sauce, grated ginger, finely chopped onion. This will make the wontons to taste more asian-like.

I did the basic mixture first then I fry some. Then I added all the asian stuffs and I like it better. So it's up to you.

The wrapping
First brush the wonton wrappers with egg white (actually water will work as the 'glue' as well i figured)


Put some of the mixture in the middle

Fold like this. Make sure no air is trapped (important to avoid the wontons from bursting when you fry/steam/boil them)
Brush the corner of the triangle

And fold like this


Hehe then heat some oil for deep frying. Well, I didn't take picture of the final product since they burst when I fried them. You can also steam them or put them into soup. But I like the deep-fried better. Who doesn't? :P













0 comments: